You may have seen these small, spiky hair tools popping up all over social media and wondering what on earth they're for. Well we're here to spill the tea.
Scalp massagers (or shampoo brushes) are designed to stimulate a healthy scalp and promote hair growth, resulting in thicker, healthier hair.
They're easy to use and give you a toe-curlingly good clean, once you've used one you'll never go back!
What are the benefits of a scalp massager?
A scalp massager provides the gentle exfoliation needed to keep your scalp clean and clear of dead skin cells, product buildup and sebum buildup which can contribute to dandruff.
The gentle massage also stimulates blood flow to the scalp, which helps hair to grow and your scalp to repair itself. Often resulting in thicker, shinier, stronger hair.
You'll want to ensure you pick a scalp massager with softer, rounded bristles such as our Oh-So-Soft Scalp Massager. Cheap massagers with solid, sharp spikes can be too harsh on the scalp and result in more damage, rather than less.
How do you use a scalp massager?
You can use your scalp massager on wet or dry hair, but we recommend pairing with your favourite shampoo.
- Wet hair thoroughly with cool to warm water, not hot
- Add a small amount of shampoo to your brush (you'll need less than normal!)
- Massage into your scalp in circular motions using gentle pressure
- Make sure you work across your whole head, including behind your ears
- Massage for 2+ minutes, you can massage as long as you want, the longer the massage the better the benefits!
- When you're done rinse your hair out as normal
- Condition your hair as normal (we recommend using a bamboo comb to prevent breakage)
- Dry with a bamboo hair towel or microfibre turban
- Style as normal